5 June


Yesterday I was very rude about Roy Thomas. I wish to point out that if he hadn't persuaded Stan Lee to turn a particular sci-fi movie into a comic book in 1976 the whole face of popular culture might now look very different. And that if he hadn't persuaded Stan Lee to turn a particular pulp fantasy barbarian into a comic book in 1970 there might have been no Arnold Schwarzenegger and there would definitely have been no Cerebus the Aardvark. And some of his golden age continuity hacks are a real joy.

No excuse for putting the Eternals in the Marvel Universe, though.

2 comments:

Jez Higgins said...

Andrew, I apologise. I don't have any particular feelings one way or another about Roy Thomas or his work, and I worked your aside into something stronger that it was mainly for my own amusement.

At a late 80s UKCAC (89 possibly), I went to an interview panel with Bob Kanigher. He was hilariously indiscreet, particular about Roy Thomas who he pretty directly accused of lifting other writers work from inventory and putting his own name on. It was this that your line brought to mind.

Andrew Rilstone said...

No apology needed. It just occurred to me that I ought to qualify my snark.

(Part of the point of having two blogs is that I can shoot from the hip on this one.)