Martyn Joseph

 1532 Performing Arts Center


And when we get through this
We’ll break bread and wine
With no lies and twisted words
But the truth this time

When we get through this
When we finish the song
It won’t be left versus right
But right versus wrong

*

That voice that told the richest tales
And sang that decency prevails
Still says out loud that hope is here
Hope that cleans the atmosphere
Of broken words and bitter breath
When there is hope there is no death
Beneath us now lies sleeping coal
But we’ll have fire in our soul....

*

I sit in dappled sunshine, approaching six o’clock
An incandescent moment, and a soul that’s taking stock
It’s time to call my Father, he’ll be sleeping in a chair
He’d kiss me if he knew me but his mind resides elsewhere

*

For we are lonely like America
Land of less and more
Lonely like America
Mythic Graceland tour
The pioneers and racketeers
Sepia wagon trains
Across the Midwest plain

*

For no society can call itself civilised
If the sick are denied through lack of means
And if you don’t believe me take a plane my friend
Go break your arm, see what it costs in New Orleans

*

The light will shine on all of us
And not just for the few
Take me darling, 
take me where the grass grows green
Let me walk another mile with you

*

This glass is half full
And this glass
Is heartbreakingly beautiful


No comments: