Band of Burns

St Georges Bristol


Do you know what I really hate? 

I really hate going to a gig where there are two standing ovations; where the audience are literally dancing in the aisles -- not doing an English disco bop but full on Scottish dancing, where every number is met with rapturous applause... and sitting there thinking "This is quite good. Very good even. It's doing absolutely nothing for me." 

Band of Burns are a mostly Scots supergroup -- three fiddles, two or three guitars, a keyboard, all the percussion you can eat, and (naturally) a set of bagpipes. They sing songs based, more or less directly, on the poems of Robert Burns and they tour in the last couple of weeks of January, for some reason. 

Lots of it is good. I very much enjoyed the mournful rendition of the Slaves Laments; and a country tinged re-write of Song to a Mouse worked nicely. Hearing Charlie is My Darling transposed into a Turkish dance was great fun; and McPhearson's Rant was rousing and grim. There were plenty of "wee sets o'tunes" which were very rousing indeed. 

But I wasn't tuned into the vibe. I was quite far back and the St George acustic meant I couldn't make out many of the words, which is a drawback for an evening of Burns music. 

I didn't disenjoy the night; but I clearly wasn't as excited by it as everyone else in the audience. Ignore me, probably.

No comments: